If your partner is a British national or settled in the UK, you may be eligible for a visa that allows you to live in the UK for up to 2 and a half years. You can apply for an extension of a further 2 and a half years at the end of the initial visa if you still meet the visa requirements. Thereafter, once you have completed 5 years of residence and you still meet the requirements, you may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain – partner visa. ‘Partner’ includes: husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner.

To meet the visa requirements you must show that:

  • both parties aged 18 of age or over when the application is made
  • your relationship is ‘genuine and subsisting’ and you intend to live permanently in the UK with your partner
  • your marriage or civil partnership is recognised by UK law
  • you meet the financial requirement
  • you can support yourselves and any dependents you may have without claiming government benefits
  • your grasp of the English language is satisfactory

Proving a ‘genuine and subsisting’ relationship: To show that you satisfy this requirement, you and your partner will have to demonstrate:

  • you are currently in a long-term relationship with one another
  • the two of you are living together, and have plans to do so in the UK if you are not already
  • you share the responsibility for your finances and your children, if you have any